Singtel accelerates transformation
Singapore, 12 September, 2014 – Singapore Telecommunications Limited (Singtel) today announced changes to its organisation structure and leadership team. These changes will enhance the Group’s focus in consumer business in the respective markets.
The restructure will:
- Strengthen execution and drive greater focus in both the telco and digital businesses
- Drive governance and group synergies, and
- Deepen the leadership bench strength.
Ms Chua Sock Koong, Singtel Group CEO, said: “We are strengthening our market leadership and increasing our relevance to customers. The restructure combines retention of existing management strength and experience with new leadership talent. Our team will advance the Singtel Group’s transformation strategy to sustain growth, competitiveness and innovation into the future.”
Under this structure, new appointments have been made to the leadership team and the CEOs of the consumer businesses will report directly to the Group CEO. These changes take effect on 1 October 2014. The direct reports to the Group CEO are:
- Mr Paul O’Sullivan - Mr O’Sullivan will be appointed Chairman Optus.
- Mr Allen Lew - Currently CEO, Group Digital L!fe, Mr Lew will be appointed CEO Consumer Australia and CEO Optus. Mr Lew will be based in Australia.
- Mr Jonathan Auerbach - A new addition to the Singtel leadership team, Mr Auerbach will be appointed CEO, Group Digital L!fe. Mr Auerbach joins Singtel from McKinsey & Company, where he led the Telecommunications, Media and Technology Practice in Asia.
- Mr Bill Chang - Mr Chang will be appointed Country Chief Officer for Singapore where he will be the principal liaison with local and regulatory bodies. Mr Chang remains CEO, Group Enterprise.
- Ms Jeann Low, Group CFO - Ms Low will assume responsibilities for Group Strategy and Group General Counsel in addition to her current portfolio. Ms Lim Cheng Cheng, who is currently Managing Director, Group Strategic Investments, will be appointed Deputy Group CFO and will report to Ms Low.
- Mr Yuen Kuan Moon, CEO Consumer Singapore.
- Mr Mark Chong, CEO Consumer International.
- Mr Tay Soo Meng, Group Chief Technology Officer.
- Ms Aileen Tan, Group Director Human Resources.
- Ms Wu Choy Peng, Group Chief Information Officer.
Ms Chua said: “After 10 years at the helm of Optus, Paul has expressed his desire for a change to a non full-time role. As the Chairman of Optus, Paul continues to be a strong advocate for our Australian business with his solid experience and knowledge. Paul will deepen our engagement with key stakeholders in the government and business community.
“Allen is returning to Optus where he previously led the consumer and mobile businesses. He is a proven leader who has successfully transformed the Group’s Singapore operations as well as built the digital business. Under Allen’s leadership, we will continue to strengthen Optus’ brand and long-term profitability.
“Jonathan brings strong credentials to Singtel, having successfully led McKinsey’s technology practices in both Asia and North America. He will build on the momentum already established in the digital business and ensure Singtel takes a proactive and aggressive approach to global digital opportunities.
“I am confident we can transform to ensure future success.”
CEO Consumer Australia & CEO Optus (designate)
Mr Lew was appointed CEO Group Digital L!fe on 1 April 2012 to transform the Group into a leading player in the digital ecosystem. He is also Country Chief Officer Singapore and is the principal liaison with local and regulatory bodies.
He began his career with the Singtel Group in November 1980 and has served in various senior management positions both in Singapore and overseas. His first overseas posting was to Advanced Info Service Public Company Ltd (AIS), Singtel’s regional mobile associate. He was the Chief Operating Officer of AIS for three years before his posting to Optus in late 2001, initially as the Managing Director of Optus Mobile and later as Managing Director of Optus Consumer Business. He returned to Singapore as CEO Singapore in 2006 and held that position until March 2012.
Mr Lew is the Chairman of the AIS Executive Committee and a Board member of the Energy Market Authority in Singapore.
He holds a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering from the University of Western Australia under a Colombo Plan Scholarship and a Master of Science (Management) from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US.
CEO Group Digital L!fe (designate)
Mr Auerbach joins Singtel from McKinsey & Company. He brings strong business insights and leadership experience from over 26 years as a management consultant.
During his time at McKinsey, Jonathan has led the firm’s Asian Telecommunications, Media and Technology Practice, the Singapore Office and Southeast Asian Region, as well as the North American Technology Practice.
He has considerable expertise in digital strategy and growth, and has shared his perspectives in key regional gatherings including the Asia Business Leaders' Forum, the Temasek 2011 Roundtable, CommunicAsia and the Singapore Business Federation annual Ministerial Dialogue.
Throughout his career, Mr Auerbach has complemented his corporate consulting with service to governments and international organisations in Southeast Asia. He was a member of the Economic Strategy Committee of Singapore chaired by the Minister of Finance and the Singapore Government’s Committee on University Education Pathways Beyond 2015. He also serves on the Board of Advisors of the Lee Kong Chian Business School at the Singapore Management University.
He graduated Phi Beta Kappa, Magnua Cum Laude, with high honors, from Dartmouth College and was a Harry S. Truman Scholar. He graduated with a degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from Oxford University, where he was on the Keasbey Scholarship.
Please click here to download pdf.