News Releases

Singtel’s second commercial satellite ST-2 soars into orbit

Singapore, 21 May 2011 – Singapore Telecommunications Limited (Singtel) announced today that Singapore’s second satellite, ST-2 was successfully launched into orbit following an impressive lift-off from Kourou, French Guiana.

At 4.38am Singapore time, the Ariane 5 ECA rocket rose from its launch pad, safely entering transfer orbit 250 km above the earth. Separation from the rocket occurred 27 minutes after lift-off.

“This is an exciting milestone for Singtel and Singapore,” said Ms Chua Sock Koong, Group CEO, Singtel. “Satellite services play an important role in Singtel's overall vision for the Corporate Business market, enabling us to lead and shape key markets such as the Maritime, Oil & Gas, Media & Broadcast and Logistics industries.

“ST-2 will enhance our ability to offer businesses such as shipping companies and DTH operators a one-stop ICT experience that will empower them to stay ahead of the competition.”

Meeting increasing customer demand

ST-2 – which is almost twice as powerful as ST-1, Singtel’s first satellite – will help the company to meet growing customer demand for fixed and mobile satellite services. ST-1, which was launched in 1998, will initially complement, and later be replaced by ST-2. The new satellite, which was built by Melco, is a joint venture between Singtel and Chunghwa Telecom and will provide 20 per cent more transponder capacity and a wider coverage footprint than ST-1. Singtel has approximately 62 per cent share in the joint venture, while Chunghwa Telecom owns the remaining 38 per cent.

ST-2 will have a wide-ranging footprint of C-band and Ku-band coverage that will cover the Middle East, Central Asia, Indian sub-continent and South East Asia. Apart from its high powered beams, it will also offer excellent switching capabilities to provide flexibility in meeting the demand that is required by different regions.

“Satellite services make it possible for us to reach our customers ranging from those in cities to those in remote locations with limited communications infrastructure. They enable us and our clients to improve people’s lives by closing the digital gaps of rural and isolated communities; changing the way seafarers live, learn and work; and bring modern financial services like credit card and ATM transactions to remote sites with no fibre infrastructure,” Ms Chua said.

Providing end-to-end ICT solutions for customers

The wider footprint also means that customers in the Maritime industry are able to access satellite communications over larger areas while out at sea, and customers on land - for example those providing satellite broadcast services - are able to reach a geographically more extensive base of customers.

Singtel, as Asia Pacific’s largest provider of fixed and mobile satellite solutions with more than 35 years experience, is committed to providing customers with the best satellite coverage and services.  It is an award-winning provider of fixed and mobile satellite.  In Singapore, Singtel has three satellite earth stations providing direct transmissions to over 80 countries. Combined with Singtel’s extensive international cable network, this enables the company to offer a full suite of communications solutions to its corporate customers.

All mio TV customers can witness the recording of this historic moment anytime on-demand under the ‘Watch it Free’ section of the programming guide. For more information about ST-2, please visit www.singtel.com/ST2

 ………………………..

 

About Singtel
Singtel is Asia's leading communications group with operations and investments around the world. Serving both the corporate and consumer markets, it is committed to bringing the best global communications solutions to customers in the Asia Pacific and beyond. 

With significant operations in Singapore and Australia (through wholly-owned subsidiary Singtel Optus), the Group provides a comprehensive portfolio of services that includes voice and data solutions over fixed, wireless and Internet platforms, as well as infocomm technology and pay TV.

The Group has presence in Asia and Africa with more than 400 million mobile customers in 25 countries, including Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, the Philippines and Thailand.

To serve the needs of multi-national corporations, Singtel also has a network of 36 offices in 19 countries and territories throughout Asia Pacific, Europe and the United States. These offices enable Singtel to deliver reliable and quality network solutions to its customers, either on its own or jointly with local partners.

Singtel employs more than 23,000 people worldwide and had a turnover of S$18.07 billion (US$13.60 billion) and net profit after tax of S$3.82 billion (US$2.88 billion) for the year ended 31 March 2011.  More information can be found @ www.singtel.com and www.optus.com.au