How does this Anti-virus Service work?
What are virus definition files and why they need to be updated regularly?
How frequently are virus definitions updated?
Will the service detect all viruses?
By subscribing to this service, are all my emails therefore virus-free?
When the service is enabled on your SingNet email account, all new incoming and outgoing emails to this account are sent to Sophos’s Pure Message Engine to scan for known virus. Please note the following scenarios:
- Encrypted emails cannot be scanned.
- If you have emails in your mailbox, regardless whether they already “popped” / downloaded or not before you sign up for this service, they will not be scanned once the service is activated. Only new mails received at our SingNet servers after the service is activated will be scanned.
- Emails in your email client received from other service/email providers, e.g. Pacific Internet, Hotmail, are not sent through SingNet’s service and therefore may not be virus-free. Precaution must still be taken when you access these other email accounts on your PC.
- Emails auto-forwarded from other SingNet accounts that are not on this service. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org subscribed to the service, while email@example.com did not subscribe to the service. The latter email account has all the emails forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that emails sent to email@example.com are not scanned as it did not subscribe to the service. Mails are then forwarded firstname.lastname@example.org . Although this account has the service, such internally forwarded emails are not scanned again. Thus, SingNet recommends that the user subscribes to the service for the original email account to reduce the chance of infection. Take note that SingNet emails manually forwarded and emails forwarded by the email client’s auto-forwarding function are not affected and are therefore not scanned.
If my emails are encrypted, can it be virus-protected?
Does this service also ensure that my Internet connection is virus-protected?
Do I still need my PC anti-virus program after subscribing to this service?
If one of the attachments within a ZIP file attachment is infected with, what will happen to the rest of the non-infected attachments?
Can I subscribe for this service on my other email accounts (e.g. hotmail)?
Will this service scans both incoming and outgoing emails?
If I have subscribed to Virtual Email Domain Service (including Per.sg’s), can I have this Anti-virus service?
Would I know if the email sent to my SingNet account enabled with this service is infected?
If an email is infected and repaired, will the repair work change any content of the email?
What type of virus cannot be repaired?
Basically, there are three main types:
- Trojan is a virus (should read as "Worm"), which performs some unexpected or unauthorized actions (e.g. stealing passwords and sending it to a hacker) and does not infect other files, so it cannot be cleaned/repaired. Thus, it must be removed.
- Visual Basic Script virus, e.g. Loveletter virus that will automatically send junk emails to large number of people using your email address and name (add "and address book").
- Infected files, which are archived or compressed, e.g. ZIP.
Am I safe as long as I do not open the email and just view it via the preview panel?
Can I temporarily disable this service?
How do I terminate the service?
What is the subscription for this service?
The subscription is charged at $2.14/mth for the Anti-virus service for one SingNet email account. The one-time registration of $10.70 is waived.
Prices inclusive of GST